![]() |
| Van Gogh, Landscape near Arles, Montmajour 1888 |
These late landscape drawings of Van Gogh are remarkable--best seen in person, of course, but the reproductions aren't bad for a start. We'll look next week at the relationship between his early work (including some early landscapes) and these late drawings. Lots to think about.
The class on Tuesday was good. Everyone was engaged (that's important!) and we got off to a good start. Keep it up. Let your hand show in the work--and the feeling(s) behind the words...
Apropos--I already mentioned this to Josiah, but I think it would be good for all of us. David Aiperspach (who did these Visual Studies classes with me some years back, when he was an undergrad here in landscape arch--before going on to an MFA in painting at RISD) has one painting in the SpaceOpen that's now up in Wurster Gallery. I want you ALL to go and spend some time looking at David's work, and I want you WRITE something about the experience. Post on you class notebook as separate entry--or build into your LONG post. The painting is worth everyone's time. It's not about words--but I want to see how you use words to get at what it IS about...
