Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Week 3: EDGE

Morris Graves, Spirit Bird, 1953



















I was surprised when several of you told me you'd spent the entire last semester focusing on EDGE. So of course, there can always be professional connections. But then I added--make it psychological--by which I mean the edge within the edge, or the wall within the wall... or the you within the you...

They were good projects last night--each in its own way--and we moved along at a reasonable clip. Glad for both. Do keep up the quality. What you do registers with everyone in the group--starting with what each project means to you personally. And there were lots of explorations--which was engaging. That is, the questions you're asking (as in Alison's by-hand & by-machine, or Elva's lonely road --10 panels, or Esther's materials & processes and light, or Daniel's India room painting and memory--or Alex's "successful and unsuccessful..." or Judith's fork on signature USPO mailer, or Marco's favorite book dragon, or Robin's touch of light--or  Tamara's beautifully re-colored wood--or David's warm wall quandary--or Josiah's--well, Josiah's edges...and two blues...). Which made me think, in many cases, just keep going--we'll see together where it leads...!

Spirit bird...